Yoga in India has been an ancient practice, practiced since the time of Gods. The Shiva statue with him sitting with folded legs in deep meditation is, in fact, a yoga posture. Yoga was later introduced to the west and is now gaining popularity the world over as a practice that has a multitude of benefits that go beyond what one gets from going to the gym. It not only makes the practitioner healthier but can provide organ-specific, and meditative benefits.
Infertility is on the rise among women because of an unhealthy lifestyle and stress. Yoga is being increasingly recommended to women who are looking to conceive or having trouble conceiving. A study by Harvard University also established that women who practice fertility specific yoga have a higher success rate of conception. In this article, you will find simple yoga asanas to increase female fertility.
Yoga Asanas To Increase Female Fertility
#1. Brahmari Prayanaam (Bee Breath)
This is a breathing exercise which is very effective in calming the mind down and reducing stress. It could help with conception since stress can be a cause of infertility.
- Sit with legs folded and back straight.
- Place your index fingers on the cartilage of your ears to block out all surrounding noise.
- Inhale deeply and gently press the cartilage when you exhale.
- Make a deep humming sound which seems to reverberate in your mind as you inhale and exhale.
- Repeat at least 5 times.
Also read: Most Effective Yoga Exercises To Treat Piles After Delivery
2. Kapalbhati Pranayama (Rhythmic Rapid Breathing)
This pose is excellent for reducing stress levels and improving overall health. It is said to cure almost all diseases, strengthen the abdominal muscles, purify the blood and regulate hormone levels hence increasing fertility.
Sit comfortably with your eyes closed and back straight.
Inhale deeply and exhale forcefully so that your stomach goes inside and becomes concave.
It is recommended to perform this asana for 5 minutes to experience maximum benefits.
#3. Paschimottanasana (The forward bend)
This is a pose which is said to be beneficial to the ovaries and uterus, the key organs responsible for conception.
- Sit straight with your legs stretched out in front of you with your toes flexed towards you.
- Inhale and stretch both your arms above your head.
- Exhale and bend forward at the hip, touching the sides of your feet with your arms. Remember to keep your back straight while bending forwards.
- Inhale while stretching your arms above your head, exhale while bending forwards. Stay in this bent position for one to two minutes and then inhale for a minute.
- Repeat 5 times.
#4. Supta Baddha Konasana (Reclining bound angle pose)
This asana strengthens the inner thigh and groin muscles along with relieving symptoms of IVF and menstrual cramps (bloating).
- Lie on your back, and rest your neck on a pillow if required.
- Place your hands beside you, with your palms facing up.
- Bend your knees, and place the soles of your feet on the ground.
- Stay in the pose for up to 10 minutes and continue to inhale and exhale deeply.
#5. Hastapadasana (Standing forward bend)
This asana stretches the muscles of the back improves the blood supply to the pelvic region. This bend helps relieve stress from the abdominal region and makes the spinal cord more flexible.
- Stand straight with feet together and arms alongside the body.
- Breathe in and extend your arms overhead.
- Breathing out and bend forward and down towards the feet.
- Stay in the bent forward posture for 20-30 seconds and continue to breathe deeply.
- Repeat 5-10 times.
Also read: 7 Best Yoga Exercises For Pregnant Women
#6. Baddha Knasana (Butterfly pose)
This pose improves flexibility in your private part and hip regions. It stimulates the pelvis, abdomen, and back by increasing blood supply. It is beneficial for the proper functioning of the ovaries and regularises mensuration. If practiced late into pregnancy, it also ensures a smoother delivery.
- To begin with, sit up straight with your spine erect.
- Exhale, bend your knees and bring the soles of your feet together to touch.
- Bring your heels as close to your pelvis as you comfortably can without causing pressure or pain to your knees.
- Push the outer edges of your feet firmly into the floor and wrap your hands around your feet or ankles.
- Stay in this position, lean forwards keeping your back straight.
- Hold this pose for 1-2 minutes. To exit the pose, lift knees towards one another, extend your legs and return to the sitting-up pose.
- Repeat at least 5 times.
#7. Janu Shirasana (One-legged forward bend)
This pose is one of the most popular poses in yoga for infertility treatment. It is not only crucial for conceiving but is also useful during pregnancy. It stretches the calves and the hamstrings of your body while relaxing the muscles of the abdomen.
- Sit with your back straight and your legs stretched in front of you.
- Fold your left leg in, while keeping your right leg stretched out. Bend forward as much as you can to touch your right foot with your hands
- Repeat with your right leg. Get back up to complete a set.
- Repeat the set 4-5 times
#8. Viparita Karani (Legs Up The Wall Pose)
This is a great pose for increasing blood flow to the pelvic region. Since it stretches the back, torso and the back of the legs it can relieve back pain and provide relief to tired legs and feet. When this pose is practiced after sex, it increases the chances of conception.
- Find a clear space in front of a wall.
- Lie down perpendicular to the wall, so that your lower limbs are facing the wall and then edge yourself closer and closer to the wall until your hips touch the wall.
- Now that your legs are propped up against the wall, straighten them. You might feel a slight tug or stretch in your legs.
- Place your hands on either side of you and relax.
- Just lie down there for 5 to 10 minutes.
#9. Balasana (Child’s Pose)
This is a gentle pose that stretches the hips, thighs, and legs while calming the mind and relieving stress. The stretch in the pelvic region increases blood flow, which is important for increasing fertility.
- Sit on your heels on a yoga mat or on the floor with your knees together or apart.
- Slowly bend forward by lowering your forehead to touch the floor. Exhale while you bend forward.
- Stretch your arms towards the front of the yoga mat, palms placed facing down on the mat.
- Now that you are in the forward bending pose, gently press your chest on your thighs (or between the thighs if the latter are apart).
- Hold the pose for about a minute.
- As you exhale, soften your body and the arms. Repeat for 5-10 breaths.
Also read: Yoga Asanas To Boost Fertility And Conceive Faster
#10. Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose)
This pose increases blood supply to your pelvic region – ovaries and uterus thereby increasing fertility. It also helps balance hormones and effectively stretches your back.
- Lie on your stomach with your hands on the floor directly under your shoulders and your feet top-down on the floor.
- Lift your upper body as you inhale, arching your back while pushing your feet, hands, and hips downwards.
- Stay in this pose for about 30 seconds as you inhale and exhale.
- Release the pose and lie flat on the floor. Repeat 5 times.
Want to share your experience as a mom with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you