In the summers, the best foods are light, not overly spicy but nutritious which keep your kids hydrated and energetic. When made at home with all natural ingredients, the summer favorites like popsicles and frozen yogurt are healthier and eliminate the chances of kids falling sick because of outside food. So why buy the popsicles and frozen yogurts when you can whip them up in minutes in your own home. Read on to find these summer recipes for kids and more which you’ll enjoy making too.
Summer Recipes For Kids
#1. Mint Lemonade
When your children return home after playing for hours in the hot sun, they need hydration and instant energy. Keep this mint lemonade ready to have them bouncing back with energy no matter how tiring their day has been.
- Sugar – 2 cups
- Lemon juice – freshly squeezed juice of about 6-8 lemons
- Fresh mint leaves – 1/2 cup
- Water – 6 cups
- Make sugar syrup by combining 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water in a saucepan and bringing to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved and then let cool.
- Pour lemon juice and remaining 4 cups water in a large pitcher.
- Add 1 cup of the simple syrup and taste. Gradually add more simple syrup to reach desired sweetness. Stir in mint leaves and refrigerate for 1 hour. Serve over ice.
- It is best to finish this the same day itself, otherwise, the mint leaves turn brown.
Also read: 11 Delicious Milkshake Recipes For Weight Gain In Kids
#2. Mango popsicles
Summer is the season of the king of fruits, Mangoes. There is hardly anyone who doesn’t love mangoes. These mango popsicles are literally a child’s play to make and perfect for the hot summer days.
- Mangoes – 2 (use Alphonso preferably)
- Sugar – 3-4 tablespoons
- Coconut milk – optional
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Wash and peel mangoes. Chop them into small chunks and blend the mango chunks, sugar and cardamom powder into a smooth puree.
- If the puree is too thick, add coconut milk or regular milk to adjust the consistency.
- Pour this into popsicle moulds and freeze for up to 8 hours.
- Your delicious mango popsicles are ready.
#3. Chocolate and banana frozen yogurt
Every child loves ice cream and frozen yogurt is just as delicious, but healthier too especially if made at home with all natural ingredients and love. This banana and chocolate frozen yogurt is super simple to make and perfect after dinner or as a snack on a hot, summer evening.
- Bananas – 2 ripe bananas frozen (you can take 2 ripe bananas, peel and chop them and freeze them in airtight bags)
- Honey – 2 tablespoon
- Plain Greek yogurt – 1/4 cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla extract – 1/2 teaspoon
- Add the frozen bananas, honey, yogurt, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract into a food processor and blend thoroughly.
- Blend until creamy, for about 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the side of the bowl to make sure there are no lumps left.
- Transfer it to an airtight freezable container and freeze for a minimum 6-8 hours but preferably overnight.
- Store in an air-tight container and enjoy for up to a month.
#4. Chilled Cucumber Tomato Soup
Not in the mood for a hot soup on a hot day? You could make a deliciously thick Chilled Cumber and Tomato soup is also known as Gazpacho in Mexican cuisine. This unique cold soup requires minimum cooking but has maximum taste.
- Tomatoes – 1 Kg
- Cucumber – 1 small, (half of the cucumber finely diced for garnish)
- Green capsicum – 1 small, (half of the capsicum finely diced for garnish)
- Red capsicum – 1 small, (half of the capsicum finely diced for garnish)
- Garlic clove – 1
- White vinegar – 2 tablespoon
- Bread crumbs – 100 gm
- Olive oil – 120 ml
- Water – 500ml
- Salt to taste
- Blanch tomatoes. Wash tomatoes and make an X-shaped cut on their top. In a large pot boil water. Cook these tomatoes in boiling water for 2-3 minutes till you can see their skin splitting open.
- Immediately take out the tomatoes and immerse them in cold water. You can easily peel off their skins after this.
- In a food processor blend the tomatoes, olive oil, vinegar, breadcrumbs, garlic, half the cucumber, half the red and green capsicum.
- Sieve the puree into a smooth paste.
- Add water to get the right consistency and ice cubes to cool the mixture.
- Put in a jug and garnish with finely diced pepper, onion, cucumber and finely diced, deseeded tomato in a bowl.
- Serve chilled.
Also read: 9 Healthy And Delicious Types of Idli Recipes
#5. Banana walnut pancakes
Children love pancakes! All Pancakes are good, but banana pancakes are even better because
they are a smart and tasty way of getting your kids to eat fruit.
- Bananas – 1/4 cup, ripe and mashed
- Walnuts – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 4 tablespoons, powdered
- Vanilla essence – 1/2 teaspoon
- Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Melted butter – 1 tablespoon
- Butter to cook as required
- Mix all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl, except the butter required for cooking.
- Add in water if required to achieve a pancake batter consistency. Ensure that the batter has no lumps.
- Heat a non-stick pan and pour in the batter into a circle.
- Add a little of the butter kept aside for cooking to the edges and cook each pancake until they are golden brown on each side.
- Serve while still hot and drizzle with honey or chocolate syrup.
#6. Oats Khichdi
Oats are very healthy for kids and adults alike, packed with a variety of nutrients, protein. and fibre. However, it is not easy to get kids to eat and enjoy oats. In this recipe, rice is replaced with oats making it even more nutritious. This is a perfect khichdi recipe for a quick summer lunch or dinner because it is light and easy on the stomach.
- Oats – ½ cup
- Moong dal – 2tbsp
- Onion – 2 tbsp finely chopped
- Tomato – 1 small sized, finely chopped
- Mixed vegetables – 1/2 cup, finely chopped (beans, potatoes, carrots, cauliflower)
- Ginger – ½ inch finely chopped
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pepper powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Hing – a pinch
- Water – 3 times the oats and moong dal mixed
- Salt – as required
- Wash moong dal and soak it in water for 10 minutes.
- Heat ghee in a pressure cooker. Add cumin seeds and let them crackle. Then add onions and ginger. Saute until the onions turn golden brown.
- Once the onions become transparent, add tomatoes. Fry tomatoes until the raw smell of tomatoes leaves and they become mushy. Add chopped veggies, pepper powder, turmeric powder, hing and required salt. Give a quick stir.
- Add soaked moong dal and saute for about a minute. Add the oats and give a quick stir.
- Add required water and bring it to a boil. Then close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook everything in a medium flame for three to four whistles.
- Once the pressure releases, open the cooker and mash the khichdi with a spoon slowly, top with ghee if required.
- Serve the Oats khichdi with curd.
Also read: 9 Yummy Sprouts Recipes that you will love
#7. Summer pasta salad
There are days when the kids want something different from the regular sabzi-roti, dal-chawal fare. For such days you can impress them with this easy to make and tasty summer pasta salad which is best eaten cold.
- Pasta – 250 gms, any shape your kids like
- Mixed Chopped vegetables – 1.5 cups, peas, carrots,
- Green capsicum – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Red capsicum – 1/4 cup, finely chopped
- Frozen corn – 1/3 cup
- Olive oil – 1.5 tablespoon
- Honey – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard – 1/4 teaspoon
- Oregano and basil – for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Boil the pasta as per the package instructions in boiling water
- Four minutes before the pasta is cooked, add the mixed chopped vegetables and corn to the pan of boiling water.
- Drain the pasta and vegetables and run under cold water for 30 seconds and then add to a large bowl.
- Mix in the green and red peppers.
- In a small jar add the olive oil, honey, oregano, basil, and mustard. Put the lid on and give it a good shake. Pour the dressing over the pasta salad and mix well.
- Serve immediately or keep in the fridge for up to 48 hours.
Want to share your experience as a mom with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you