Having twins is not as uncommon as we believe. In fact, reproductive experts are certain that human beings have a lot more twin pregnancies than we are actually aware of. In fact, there is evidence that more than one embryo is usually implanted but the one that is more viable survives.
So, if you want to have twins, there are a few steps that you can take to make that happen for you. This is because the actual conception is not that rare. Ensuring that both the embryos are viable is the only challenge.
The science of Twins
We all know that there are two types of twins – identical and fraternal. Identical twins are born when the egg that is fertilized by a sperm divides into two embryos. That is why their genetic information is exactly the same. As for non-identical or fraternal twins, two separate eggs are fertilized by two different sperms. It is common to have twins if you have the gene running in your family. It is more likely for a couple to have twins if the mother has several twins in her family. If you have been pregnant before, you have a higher chance of having twins. This is because of the ability of the body to support the fertilized embryos is better after the first pregnancy.
What you can do to improve your chances?
If you are keen on having twins, here are a few things that you may try:
- Try to conceive when you are older- When you reach a pre-menopausal age, you get a fertility spike when multiple eggs are released each month. Fertility research has proven that women who are over 35 years of age are more likely to have twins. But most of these twins are non-identical.
- Invitro Fertilization - You can opt for in-vitro fertilization or even take fertility medication. This will stimulate egg production in your ovaries and it is possible for you to improve your chances of having twins.
- Plan for a big family -This is again, purely based on the fact that the more children you have, the more likely it is for you to conceive and support multiple embryos.
- Stop contraceptives - If you are on contraceptives, you can try to get pregnant immediately after you have stopped taking these medicines as you tend to have higher egg production.
- Take folic acid supplements - When you decide to conceive, you may take folic supplements to improve your chances of having twins.
- Eat foods that facilitate egg production - Foods like sweet potato and yam support ovarian function and will help you conceive twins by improving egg production.
- Prolong Weaning - If you already have a baby, prolong the weaning process. The longer you breastfeed, the higher are your chances of conceiving twins as your ovulation tends to improve.
Whenever you decide to take any supplements to aid pregnancy, you need to consult a gynecologist. They will also be able to give you additional tips to improve your chances of having twins. There are several new technologies that have been created to help couples who want two or more children but do not want to go through multiple pregnancies.
Before you proceed with any of this, do check with your gynecologist to make sure that your body is in a condition to support a twin pregnancy.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you