When one thinks of skin care, one doesn't naturally think of night creams as the first thing to keep in mind. Skin care is an essential component of our lives. It is very important to nourish the skin to breathe, repair and retain its healthy structure. Our skin is constantly damaged with rising pollution, stress, makeup and fad diets. This further makes it important to handle our skin with the utmost care. If you want to take care of your skin, you can try these homemade night creams.
Skin is at its best at night when the skin cells regenerate. Therefore, it is always important to use a good quality night cream to nourish the skin, retain its softness, repair and tighten it.
Benefits of using homemade night creams
Night creams provide adequate nourishment to repair the damaged skin cells and improve skin texture. By using night creams:
- Skin softness is retained.
- Premature skin ageing is prevented.
- Dark circles and wrinkles are reduced.
- The skin remains firm and clear without pigmentation spots.
Types of homemade night creams
A single night cream cannot be used for all skin types and issues. Some have whitening benefits, some target acne spots, and this necessitates different creams for different skin issues.
Listed below are some homemade night creams that can be quickly made with some basic stuff easily available at home.
#1. Almond oil night cream
Almond oil is rich in Vitamin E which helps in keeping the skin soft. When combined with cocoa butter and honey, it gives an additional smoothness and shine to the skin. It is best for dry skin type during winter as the skin loses moisture and tends to be rough, but it can be used by everyone during any season.
- Almond Oil- 1 tbsp
- Cocoa butter- 2 tbsp
- Honey- 1 tbsp
- Rose water- 2 tsp
- Melt almond oil and cocoa butter together in a boiler.
- Once melted, mix rose water and honey to it.
- Let it cool down to room temperature.
- The cream is ready for use. It can be stored in the refrigerator.
#2. Apple night cream
Apples are good sources of Vitamin A, B and C, malic acid and alpha-hydroxy acid. They fight damage caused by the UV rays and enhance collagen production. Apple night cream exfoliates the skin and moisturises it.
- Apples - 2 nos
- Rose water (for dark circles) - 4 tbsp
- Olive oil- 1 tsp
- You can also add honey, cinnamon or turmeric for acne reduction as these ingredients contain anti-inflammatory properties.
- Cut and de-seed the apples.
- Make small pieces of the apples and blend it with olive oil .
- When you get a smooth texture, pour it into a boiler and heat in low to medium flame.
- Once heated, get it off the flame and add rose water to it.
- Let the mixture cool.
- Store this in the refrigerator for up to a week.
Also Read: 9 Homemade Beauty Tips From Celebrities
#3. Anti-ageing avocado night cream
Avocados are rich sources of Vitamin A, B, C, E and K and also minerals like magnesium and potassium. They give you youthful skin by making it soft and smooth.
- Avocado- 1
- Egg- 1
- Yoghurt- Half a cup (for vegetarians)
- Mash a ripe avocado in a bowl to a smooth paste.
- Add the egg/yoghurt to the avocado in a blender and blend it to a smooth paste.
- Store it in a dry place and apply twice a week.
#4. Olive oil moisturising night cream
Olive oil is a good source of Vitamin E, and oleic acid which helps in reaching the deeper layers of the skin and gives deeper nourishment. When combined with coconut oil, this night cream adds to the skin beauty and health and helps reduce acne scars.
- Extra Virgin Olive oil- Half cup
- Coconut oil- 2 spoons
- Beeswax- 1 spoon
- Vitamin E capsules- 2 nos.
- Mix olive oil, coconut oil and beeswax together in a pan and melt it on a low flame.
- Crush the vitamin E capsules, add it to the pan and mix to form a creamy texture.
- Cool and store it in room temperature for up to 2-3 months.
#5. Detoxifying night cream with tea extracts
Tea extracts can be very beneficial due to its rich antioxidants content. They reduce inflammation, prevent skin damage and protects against skin disorders. Green/white tea extracts help cleanse your skin from impurities and restore skin health.
- Green tea extract- 1 tsp
- Essential oil- 1 tsp
- Aloe Vera juice- 1 tbsp
- Beeswax- 1 tbsp
- Almond oil- 1 tbsp
- Rose water- 1 tbsp
- Using double boiler, boil the almond oil and beeswax together till they melt.
- Get it off the flame, add and mix the Aloe Vera juice.
- Add the tea extract(s), essential oil and rose water.
- Store the cream in a container at room temperature.
Also Read: 21 Home Remedies to get rid of pregnancy stretch marks
#6. Anti-acne Aloe Vera formula
Aloe Vera is amazing in treating skin acne due to its antibacterial properties and reduces skin blemishes. Aloe Vera night cream nourishes your skin, making softer and younger.
- Aloe Vera extract- 2 tbsp
- Primrose oil- 1 tsp
- Lavender oil- 1 tsp
- Mix the Aloe Vera extract directly from the plant with lavender and primrose oils.
- Blend well and use it every night.
#7. Anti-wrinkle cocoa cream
Chapped and rough skin leads to wrinkles and can be removed by the creamy aspect of cocoa butter which smoothens and nourishes the skin.
- Cocoa butter- 2 tbsp
- Olive oil- 1 tbsp
- Coconut oil- 1 tbsp
- Heat the ingredients in a boiler until they mix well.
- Cool and store in a container.
Also Read: 10 Ways to Reduce Belly Fat after Delivery
Points to remember
There is a constant need to nourish and protect our skin from all harmful aspects that hinder healthy skin growth. Always prioritize safety by making sure your skin is not allergic to any ingredients used to prepare your night cream. Patch test the creams for allergies. Washing your face on waking up and not using night creams during the day goes a long way to ensuring good skin health.