My name is Varsha Raykantiwar, I am a mom of a 22 months baby boy-Arjun from Pune. I am an Ayurvedic Practitioner. But when it comes to your kid, he is the worst patient.
Arjun always gets affected by coughs and cold as weather changes. It’s very painful to see him ill so often, every change of weather with chest making wheezing sounds while breathing and coughing.
Apart from medicines I always try some home remedies which are really helpful and build your child’s immunity. So I thought of writing a post on common cough and cold home remedies for babies and share with you all.
Also Read: 25 Effective Home Remedies To Treat Cold And Cough in Babies & Kids (3 months to 3+ years)
As season changes, children tend to have coughs and cold followed due to viruses in the air. Apart from medicines, we can try some home remedies which are really beneficial and boosts kids immunity.
1) STEAM: When there is congestion in the nose and your kid is having trouble in breathing, nothing helps more than steam inhalation. Close the door of your bathroom and make your child stand in front of hot running tap water and inhale hot fumes for 10-15 mins. Vaporizers are also easily available. Adding some eucalyptus oil or some ajwain in water and taking steam is very soothing. Caution: Keep your child away from boiling hot water. According to study several injuries in infants and toddlers happen due to steaming hot water. Steam inhalation should be done 2-3 times a day.
2) MASSAGE: Add some ajwain, garlic, and Asafoetida to mustard oil and warm it. Massage your kids back, chest, neck, palm and feet with this oil.
Mix some camphor or few drops of eucalyptus oil to coconut oil and warm it. Massage your kid with this oil.
Caution: Use of camphor should be strictly monitored as some kids may get allergy with it. Also, the quantity should be very less or consult a doctor. The odor of camphor and eucalyptus makes your child sleep peacefully by clearing congestion.
3) GINGER AND HONEY: This is what our parents and grandparents give us when we suffer from coughs and cold and it really works. Squeeze some juice from grated ginger and mix it with honey. Give this mixture 2-3 times a day.
4) TULSI TEA: Boil some fresh tulsi leaves with some ginger in it. Give 2-3 spoons for kids till 1 yr. Doses can be increased for kids above 1 year.
Even this should be given 2-3 times a day. Tulsi also reduces fever in kids.
Also Read: How to identify allergies in children
5) TURMERIC MILK: Turmeric has an antiseptic property. So it helps to treat viral infections like coughs and cold. Add some turmeric powder to a glass of warm milk and give it to your kid at night.
If your kid refuses turmeric milk, try a pinch of nutmeg powder to a spoonful of milk and boil it. Give it to your kid when it cools down to room temperature.
6) EXTRA FLIUDS: Drinking lots of fluids prevent dehydration. It can be in any form like breast milk, formula, water, fruit juice, etc.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community.Click here and we will get in touch with you