Congratulations! Your baby is one year old. You’ve successfully completed a big milestone as a parent. As you prepare for your child’s first birthday, you may start weaning your child off formula milk. Breastfeeding can be continued a little longer if that’s ok with you. You can check with your pediatrician about when and how to begin cow milk for your baby. This is also the time to start potty training your child. In this article, you will find a food chart for 12 months baby along with healthy recipes.
Also Read: 10 Food Recipes for 1 to 2 years old kids
Points to remember while feeding your 12 months baby:
#1. Ditch any pureed or mashed food as it is high time, your baby started chewing. If your child shows reluctance to chew food, consult your pediatrician immediately.
#2. Continue to give healthy foods to your baby. A one-year-old can very well persuade you into fulfilling his wishes and if you fall prey to them, you’ll find yourself feeding only macaroni, cheese and sweet savouries to your child.
#3. In the second year, your child will not gain as much weight as in the first year so in case you notice less weight gain, do not try to feed too many fattening foods to your child. It might lead to weight gain but it is very harmful for your child in the long run.
#4. You might notice drastic changes in your child’s eating habits but this isn’t a cause of concern. For instance, your child might love a particular food for one week and then refuse to eat it next week, or he might eat too much of the same food and ask for it more often. Do not panic. Continue to offer a variety of foods.
#5. You can start cow milk once your pediatrician gives you a green signal. You can also transition from a bottle to a cup.
#6. You can now introduce egg whites in your child’s diet.
#7. Increase the quantity of iron-rich foods
in your child’s diet as your child needs more iron at this age. You can make your child eat iron-fortified cereal, beans, poultry, sweet potatoes, mushrooms, eggs, quinoa, tofu, prune juice and dark green leafy vegetables to make your child’s diet iron rich.
#8. Your child might not like to follow the regular feeding schedule when he is busy playing. Parents should not allow kids to miss a meal and take to binge eating. Also, do not let your child get into the habit of munching all day. It can lead to childhood obesity. Try to stick to a meal schedule so that your child knows when to expect the food.
#9. As your baby grows older, you will have to work on your creativity quotient. You can try cutting idlis or rotis in different shapes to make them attractive for your baby. Present the food in attractive ways and see your baby handover the empty plate to you!
Also read: 31 Healthy Recipes Using Weight Gain Foods for Babies and Kids
Foods to avoid feeding your 12-month-old baby
In spite of the fact that your baby can chew the food, there are certain foods that still shouldn’t be given to babies, since they can lead to choking. These include:
- Raw and hard vegetables
- Whole grapes
- Hard candies
- Hot dogs
Food Chart for 12 Months Baby
Food options for your 12-month-old baby:
#1. Apple Muffins
Image Source: The girl who ate everything
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 apple
- ½ cup milk
- 1/3 cup of apple puree
- 1 tsp of cinnamon powder
- 1 tbsp. Of powdered nuts
- 1 tbsp. Of oil
- 2 eggs beaten
- Take a bowl and mix mashed banana, chopped apple, cinnamon powder and powdered nuts.
- Take a bowl and add milk, coconut oil, eggs and mix it.
- Mix liquid and solid ingredients together.
- Add the mixture to a muffin tray.
- Add the muffin tray in the preheated oven.
- Heat it for about 35 minutes.
#2. Quinoa Khichdi
Image Source: nourish you
- ½ cup of quinoa
- ½ cup of moong dal
- ½ cup of carrot
- ½ cup of green peas
- A pinch of salt.
- 2 cups of water
- Soak quinoa and moong dal for 20 minutes
- Rinse it properly after 20 minutes.
- Add all the ingredients mentioned in the above list in the pressure cooker.
- Cook it for 3 whistles and serve lukewarm to the child.
#3. Banana-Oats Smoothie
Image Source: pinterest
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 tbsp. Of mashed oats
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tbsp. Of powdered jaggery
- 1 tbsp. Of powdered nuts
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender.
- Serve it at room temperature.
#4. Bajra Upma
Image Source: my little moppet
Also Read: 10 Recipes Using Sweet Potato for Baby Weight Gain
- 1 cup bajra flakes
- 1 ½ tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp oil
- ½ tbsp urad dal
- 1 tbsp bengal gram
- 1 tbsp mustard seeds
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- Pinch of salt
- Wash the bajra and soak for 5 minutes
- Drain the water and cook the bajra in a steamer for 3 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Take a pan, heat oil in it and add the mustard seeds. Once they start sputtering, add the urad dal, bengal gram and curry leaves.
- Add the onion and cook till it is brown. Add the bajra and mix everything and remove from heat. Garnish with coriander leaves.
#5. Vegetable Pancake
Image Source: Cookistry
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg (optional)
- 2 tbsp melted unsalted butter
- 1 small onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small piece broccoli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50 gm grated cheese
- Preheat the oven at 200-degree Celsius.
- Wash and peel the onion and bell pepper and cut into large pieces. Now Place these in the baking tray and roast with a tsp of olive oil till brown and soft. (approximately 25-30 minutes)
- Steam the broccoli till it becomes soft. Now chop all the vegetables into small pieces on a chopping board.
- Take a bowl, add baking powder and flour to it.
- In a separate bowl, mix the milk, butter and egg (if you’re using egg). Once these are mixed properly, add the flour mixture to it. Ensure that there are no lumps.
- Add the vegetables and the grated cheese to this batter and mix well. The batter will be thicker than usual pancake mixture but that’s ok.
- Heat a non-stick tawa, add olive oil to it. Once heated, pour one tbsp of the batter on the tawa. Spread it nicely. Now turn it upside down very slowly. Cook on medium flame till both sides are nicely cooked and brown.
What about Non-Veg Foods for families where they give these foods in baby diet?
Even when your child is a year old and you’ve introduced non-vegetarian foods in his diet, he may still not be able to eat everything that the rest of the family eats. A 12-month-old might still be getting teeth. You can give egg curry with rice and replace the vegetables in certain meals with boneless chicken curry. Make sure it isn’t too spicy. You may give chicken and vegetable stew.
Also, children might not be able to digest as much poultry as adults so don’t overdo it. You can give a non-vegetarian meal 2-3 times a week in the beginning and then go by your child’s liking. Biryani with small pieces of well-cooked mutton can also be given. If you eat fish and want to give it to your child, make sure you de-done it and only then give. Choose a soft variety of fish which is easy to chew and give a very small quantity in the beginning.
Read More: 21 Weight Gain Foods for Babies
Want to share your experience as a mom with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community click here and we will get in touch with you