Diaper rashes are very irritating and cause utter discomfort for your baby. Diaper rashes are quite common as most of the babies are wearing diapers full time these days.
Your baby’s skin is very delicate and sensitive. Rashes in the delicate areas may occur due to many reasons.
- Wearing a dirty or wet diaper for a long time.
- Allergic reaction to certain diapers.
- Bacterial infections due to sweat or wetness in that area.
- Skin rubbing against the outer cover of the diaper.
- Irritation caused by diarrhoea/loose stools.
- Use of antibiotics.
As the baby grows from a newborn to an infant, the skin strengthens to withstand moisture and the rashes gradually reduce.
However, until the time your baby is able to withstand the moisture, you have to be prepared to deal with it so that your baby is not in discomfort.
Tips to prevent diaper rashes in babies
- Yes, diaper rashes are preventable if you take certain precautions. Let us see what should you do to prevent diaper rashes.
- Let your baby stay without diapers for some time during the day. A whiff of fresh air can naturally dry the area and help in healing the rashes, if present.
- Do not use the scented wipes. The fragrance can irritate the delicate skin and cause rashes. Go for fragrance-free, alcohol-free and hypoallergenic wipes.
- Apply a barrier product like petroleum jelly or coconut oil or a diaper rash cream before you put on a diaper.
- Change the diapers immediately after your baby poops.
- If you are using cloth diapers, use mild and hypoallergenic detergent to wash them.
- Avoid using too many baby products like lotions, oils, after baths, shampoos which are chemically made. Go for natural or home remedies or use herbal products.
There are some home remedies to deal with diaper rashes like coconut oil and Vaseline, which are preferred by many moms. However, many moms prefer to use commercially available diaper rash cream.
Using diaper rash cream are one of the best ways to provide fast relief and also heal the rashes. Such creams not only reduce irritation from the rashes but also help in the healing of the rashes.
Let us look at some of the best diaper rash cream available on the market. Though there are many popular creams on the market shelves, we have listed only those creams which are free of mineral oil, parabens, phenoxyethanol and other harmful chemicals.
5 Most Effective Diaper Rash Cream for Babies To Use
1. Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream
This is a very effective cream to deal with diaper rashes as it creates a layer to shield the rashes from further contact with wetness, thus reducing irritation.
The active ingredients are zinc oxide, organic calendula and marigold extract, all of which are known to soothe sensitive skin. It is also enriched with Vitamin B5 and Vitamin E. It is free of mineral oil, parabens, and colorants, thus making it hypoallergenic.
Click Here To Buy Cetaphil Baby Diaper Cream
2. Sebamed Diaper Rash Cream
This cream is a one of the popular creams to treat not only diaper rashes but also rashes arising due to sweat, allergies etc. It contains titanium dioxide which protects the baby’s skin against harmful substances. It contains 35% oil base which helps to hydrate, moisturize and soothe the baby’s delicate skin. It also contains Panthenol/Vitamin B5 which stimulates the healing process. The active ingredients are micronized titanium dioxide, sorbitol, panthenol, chamomile, natural bees’ wax and wheat germ oil. It is free of parabens, mineral oil and formaldehyde.
Click Here To Buy Sebamed
3. Life & Pursuits Ayurvedic Organic Diaper Rash Cream
This is an ayurvedic cream made from organic ingredients. It is a therapeutic blend of extra-virgin and cold-pressed natural oils and ayurvedic herbs. It soothes and heals the rashes in a natural way as it is not chemically formulated. The active ingredients are zinc oxide, neem extract, holy basil (tulsi) extract, turmeric extract, beeswax, coconut oil, castor oil and lavender oil. It is free of colorants, parabens, mineral oil and other chemical formulations. It is hypoallergenic and is certified by NATRUE(Europe) as truly organic, natural, herbal and safe.
Click Here To Buy Life & Pursuits Ayurvedic Organic Diaper Rash Cream
4. Palmer’s Bottom Butter with Zinc Oxide
This contains 10% zinc oxide which helps in creating a protective covering on the baby’s skin, thus preventing it from further exposure to moisture. The cocoa butter in it not only keeps the baby’s skin soft and smooth but also heals the rashes quickly. The active ingredients are Cocoa butter, zinc oxide, Vitamin A, Vitamin D and Pro-Vitamin B5. It is paraben free and mineral oil free.
Click Here To Buy Palmer’s Bottom Butter
5. Burt’s Bees Baby Diaper Rash Ointment
This contains 40% zinc oxide and sweet almond oil, which together not only form a protective layer on the skin but also moisturize the skin. The active ingredient is zinc oxide and the inactive ingredients are sweet almond oil, beeswax, jojoba seed oil, calendula extract, castor oil and olive oil. It does not contain parabens, mineral oil or harmful chemicals
Click Here To Buy Burt’s Bees Baby Diaper Rash Ointment
Dear Moms, the above diaper rash creams are known to offer fast relief and healing from diaper rashes for babies, apart from being free from parabens, mineral oil, and other harmful chemicals. Try using the above to treat the rashes at home. However, if the rashes persist beyond 4-5 days, it is best to consult a pediatrician who would diagnose the exact cause of the rashes and recommend treatment accordingly.
Want to share your mommy experience with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you