Every woman takes care of herself during pregnancy but often after the delivery, women get so engrossed in taking care of their newborn; that they completely forget about themselves and ignore their health. The truth is that the new mommy’s body is still weak and her scars need a lot of time and care to heal. The mother needs to take care of her body and her diet along with ample rest to be able to cope up with the challenges of motherhood. In fact, both the mother and the baby can benefit immensely from a massage. Postnatal massage is a very common practice in various countries. Let's check out the benefits of postnatal massage for both the mother and child.
Here are 11 amazing benefits of postnatal massage
Benefits of postnatal massage for mummy
- The delivery pains and cramps continue to harass many women even after the delivery and it gets worse when they need to hold their baby for a long duration. This affects the physical strength of the mother. A relaxing massage can help to relieve the muscular pains experienced by the mother. Getting a massage rejuvenates the mother and she is able to attend to her baby and take care of him with ease. The new mother needs a lot of physical and emotional support and a postnatal massage is very helpful in providing the same to her.
- Getting a regular massage also helps the mother to produce sufficient milk to cater to the growing hunger pangs of the baby. Massage makes the mother’s body releases a hormone called oxytocin which helps to release more milk from her breasts. Massage helps to open any blocked ducts or clots in the breasts that occur during breastfeeding. This helps her to feed the little when as and when required without feeling stressed.
- It speeds up the process of recovery after a c-section delivery and the area around the scar is massaged very gently.
- Post delivery, a mother’s skin becomes loose and hanging. Regular massage helps to tone the body and also helps to shed the excess weight. The pelvic region and the stomach get back to their native positions with the help of a massage.
- It also helps to treat postpartum depression as it helps to reduce stress. It is no less than a spa experience!
Also read: Should we massage baby in Summers?
Massaging with coconut oil is one of the best options since it has anti-inflammatory properties and has various benefits.
Also Read: Baby Skin Color | 10 Effective tips for a healthy skin (and surprising facts)
Benefits of postnatal massage for baby
- A well-fed baby is happy and healthy and the mother also feels content. This, in turn, strengthens the mother-child bond.
- Massaging the newborn helps to improve his sleep, tone the body, boost the immune system, improve blood circulation, and helps in the development of the central nervous system.
- Babies love to be touched and caressed. They feel secure when the mother massages them. It helps the baby to bond with the mother.
- Massaging the baby helps to prevent the formation of gas and abdominal pains.
- Massage also helps to provide relief from congestion and aids in the drainage of sinuses.
- Massage aids in the motor development of the baby. Regular massage helps to strengthen the muscles of the baby.
- You can use coconut oil, olive oil or any oil recommended by your pediatrician. Coconut oil has various benefits for the baby.
Nowadays there are various Japa maids or malishwallis who can be called for providing postnatal massage to the mother and the baby. Usually, they visit once a day and massage both the mother and the baby. Postnatal massage is given for a period of 40 days in most countries. The Japa maids massage the whole body starting from the feet and moving up.
Also read: Benefits of Massage For New Mom