Are you worried about your baby’s skin during winters and looking for the best baby oils for winter massage?
Have you considered massaging your little one during winters?
Do you know which oils are best for winter massaging?
Here is a comprehensive guide to help you pick the right oil to massage your baby during the winter months. Although, a baby’s skin is naturally softer, smoother, and healthier than any adult's; it demands good and appropriate care in every season.
Winters are chilly and exposure to the sun is limited. This makes your baby’s skin dry and flaky. To keep its natural softness undamaged, a warm oil massage is a good idea. Massage helps lock in the skin’s moisture and keeps it healthy, nourished, and supple.
Also read: 5 Best Baby Massage Oils In Winters
Advantages of oil massage in winters for your baby
- Massage increases the body’s temperature to a comfortable state. A warm oil massage helps the baby’s body to retain its heat and stay warm.
- Bones and muscles tend to get stiffer during winters due to layered clothing. A regular oil massage can make them stronger and more flexible.
- Winter is the season when you avoid taking your baby out of the house often. This may make the baby moody and disturbed. A nice oil massage can help little ones relaxed and calm instantly.
- A thorough oil massage in any season helps enhance the blood circulation of the baby’s body and it is good for their overall health and development.
- A massage activates your baby’s sensory organs and the little one becomes more receptive and responsive.
- Mother’s touch is beneficial for babies. Massage allows skin-on-skin contact and strengthens the mother-child bond. It is a good way to help the little one associate with the mother’s touch.
Also read: Should we massage baby in Summers?
Things to remember while selecting the best baby oils for winter massage
- Before you start, it is important to know that not all oils are suitable for use during winters. Oils such as coconut oil have a cooling effect on the body and are best used during the summer months. However, you can mix coconut oil with other winter oils such as almond oil or mustard oil, to make a nourishing blend for winter massage.
- Also, remember, if your baby is prone to skin allergies, rashes, and eczema, avoid using olive oil, clarified butter, and mustard oil. These oils are rich in oleic acid, which worsens skin allergies by drying up the area.
- Stay away from mineral oils and oils with strong fragrances to prevent allergic reactions in babies.
- Always opt for food grade oils for baby’s massage, so that even if ingested, they do not cause harmful side effects.
- Always consult your pediatrician before finalizing the massage oil (especially essential oils) for your little one.
Pre-massage tips to remember in winters
Before massaging your baby in winters always –
- Warm the room before removing your little one’s clothes.
- Warm the oil to lukewarm temperature. This allows easy application and better absorption.
- Warm your hands by vigorously rubbing them together so that they are not too chilly for the baby.
The Best Baby Oils For Winter Massage
#1. Almond Oil
Almond oil is one of the best winter massage oils for babies. Enriched with the goodness of vitamin E, it keeps the baby’s skin soft, warm, and glowing. It also helps little ones get a good sleep.
#2. Mustard Oil
In India, mustard oil is considered as one of the most reliable baby massage oils for decades. It keeps the body warm. However, it can irritate sensitive skin and is not advisable for kids with eczema or skin allergies. Therefore, it is better to first try it on a small area of your baby’s skin and monitor it for the next 24 hours. If nothing happens then you can start using the oil without any worry.
#3. Chamomile Oil
This is one of the best options for the babies with sensitive and rash-prone skin. This oil also offers a soothing effect on babies with colic during winter. Simply mix 2 to 3 drops in 50 ml of coconut or almond oil and use to massage your little one.
Also read: Benefits of Postnatal Massage in Mother and Babies
#5. Olive Oil
Olive oil is popular massage oil that boosts blood circulation in babies, enhances skin tone, and improves skin texture. It also lends a lovely glow to the skin. However, babies with skin allergies, eczema, and rashes should not be given massage with this oil as it can irritate their skin.
#6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea Tree oil is good for boosting the immunity of your baby. It has antiseptic properties and that makes it the perfect oil for rash-prone, dry, and allergy-prone skin.You can use it directly on the baby’s skin or dilute it with almond oil for added nourishment.
#7. Castor Oil
Not only skin, but you can try this thick oil on your baby’s hair and nails as well. Castor oil smoothes and softens the skin, helps in hair growth, and strengthens the nails too. It reduces the natural dryness of the skin and keeps it damage free during winters.
#8. Sunflower Oil
This easily absorbable and light oil is perfect for your baby’s skin. It contains vitamin E and fatty acids, which thoroughly nourish the baby’s skin during winters. It is easily available and one of the best baby oils for winter massage.
Also read: How To Massage Your Baby
#9. Calendula Oil
Calendula oil offers skin hydrating benefits which are very important during winters. Moreover, it also has a soothing fragrance that relaxes the baby and helps her sleep well. It can be used as it is and makes a great base for mixing essential oils such as lavender oil.
#10. Clarified Butter ( Desi Ghee)
Known since ages for its bone strengthening and muscle building properties clarified butter is wonderful for massage. It is also deep penetrating and nourishes the skin well. However, it is best to use the one that is freshly made at home and is best avoided for children with skin allergies and eczema.
While choosing the best baby oil for winter massage, remember that every baby is different from the other and so is their skin. The oil, which was good for your nephew may or may not be useful for your son because of their distinct skin and health conditions. Hence, choose the oil as per your baby’s needs only.
Want to share your experience as a mom with other moms through words or images? Become a part of the Moms United community. Click here and we will get in touch with you